Monday, July 25, 2016

Galilee 3

These next few days were all field trips. So many tuna sandwiches in a row. They fed us the same sack lunch everyday, so Cody, Emma and I would splurge on pringles and cookies whenever we had the shekels. Above is Emily and I at Hazor, where we talked about watchmen and how the prophets can see storms coming from years off and give us warnings on how to prepare now. It has a special impact when you are sitting on a watchtower talking about it. 

Hazor was one of the only places we ran into the other class, whom I was pretty sure I imagined after a week or so of not seeing them. I love Jess so much! Look how cute we are!!

Next we drove up to the northernmost edge of the ancient kingdom of Israel, Tel Dan. It was actually a nature preserve, with lots of shady paths and springs. It was very green, and I felt like Indiana jones, trooping through the bushes looking for ancient buildings. ​Dan is actually where they made a huge altar with a golden calf, which directly led to the downfall and scattering of the northern kingdom and the 10 tribes. This pic of Nate and I is at the judgement seat in the gate, basically where all the business was conducted. We reenacted the story of Ruth, and Nate and I did our best judging. Those are our judging faces. 

We stopped at some other sites, but they were mainly sites mentioned once in the scriptures. The best place was Castle Nimrod, which was not mentioned in the scriptures at all I think, but which was an actual castle! We split into classes, and my class took our place on the wall to defend as the other class attacked. Dr. Mulestein did the speech from the 3rd lord of the rings movie, which was amazing because he had it memorized, and I smashed Colin in a sword fight by leaping down from a rock at him. Attack from above always. 

The next day was our last day at Galilee so we went to all the cool places. Like Caesarea Phillipi, which is totally in the scriptures pictures! Actually, I have been to most of the places in those pictures. That's a cool thought.
We took advantage of the shade to talk about Christ as the bedrock, and appreciated the word play of the scriptures. Just another day with Dr. Skinner, loving the Greek and Aramaic puns in the scriptures. Emma and I sat on the antiquities. Shame on us. Here we are looking guilty. 

We also went up to the Golan heights, which is technically Syria. Yay! Check that off my dangerous places to visit list. It was a blurry day, so we couldn't see far, but we did our best and talked about Saul on the road to Damascus and some more modern history. 

We also went to Akko, which was the base camp for the Crusaders. They built an entire underground city, so we did a scavenger hunt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.